Thursday 26 June 2008

Masshysteri - Paranoid 7"


Limited to a mere 200, this record already goes for $60+ on eBay. Hype? Well, err...yeah. At £30 for one track, 'Paranoid' is arguably one of the most expensive records per track there is knocking about and I'm certainly in no rush to sell my copy either, but...it really does little for me.

Now don't get me wrong I do like Masshysteri, I really do, but they've followed an annoyingly poppy direction after The Vicious, and left their Wipers-worshipping/stealing behind. Which is a shame. 'Alienated' and 'Obsessive' were two really really awesome records, but there seems to be very little coming from them anymore. This single, is a bit too sugary sweet, it's not really punk, it's just something that's there. The annoying screams PAAAAAAARRRAAAANO EEEEEEEED does get a bit draining after a while. That's not to say it's not a bad record, because it's not, I just don't really dig it.

At Trashfest, the crowd was dull, yeah it was during Turkey/Holland, but no one really cared, and the music was uninspiring at best. The only time everyone got into it was during a Vicious song, I'm not one to judge a band on crowd participation but it's obvious that Masshysteri aren't as exciting as they used to be. They appear to be slowly burning out. I just hope they release a killer LP that proves me wrong. Sorry dudes. - Nick [Hell Yes!]

No comments: