Thursday 29 May 2008

Maths - MMVII (discog CD)


If I was told probably no more then two, two and a half months ago that Id be listening to Screamo and I'd have probably told you to fuck right off because "I hate that shit", isn't it funny how things change, haha. I think I actually started listening to it because I got into Guyver-One after downloading their s/t 7" off another blog and loving it. I remember saying bad things about Maths and decided that now I loved Screamo I should at least give them another chance, I did, and I loved it. I tried to get their Demo's and CD but they'd all sold out, but then Zen informed me that they have this little beauty set for release and so I waited patiently and it arrived! I ordered it and it turned up at my house and was immediatly put into my CD player where I listened to it continuously throughout the course of the day. 

Its good stuff, It is proper 90's style Screamo like Jeromes Dream (who are in fact covered) or City of Caterpillar only the songs are quiet as epically long (in terms of CoC) and are techi to the max. But I think you get the idea, that its that frantic guitaristry, with the little slow melodic bits and the manic vocals. This is no exception, the vocals are fantastic and heartfelt, the guitarmanship is exception really adding to the emotion behind each song even helping to halfway convey which emotion is being expressed, the drumming also melds beautifully into the tracks helping to set the pace.

This is mine blowing stuff, the CD compiles the new song, the 2007 tour demo, the 6 track EP, some alternative mixes and a complete live show. So theres alot to get with your money, I lyrics sheet would be nice, but I suppose that came with the last releases (which I dont have and which are now unavailable) however the lyrics for "ii" & "iv" can be found on their Myspace. But this is still good stuff on pure aural pleasure alone.

All the tracks are pretty noteworthy, and the added remixes are certainly a very nice touch. Im really feeling "How Shall We Comfort Ourselves" at the moment, but this is a bright star among a galaxy.  The new track, "2346" is an epic 6 minutes in length and despite the recording being a little quiet (unless Zen is going for Jeff style vocals) although this does pick up, is still a good number with some nice little guitar moments and some somber bass lines which really help to give the track shape and I particularly like the mass scream out that occurs towards the end. The Jeromes Dream cover is particularly awesome too with the band even seeming to employ the same vocal technique the Jeff does (a la no mic).

Certainly a CD to own if you've just got into Maths or if you missed the Demo and Ep's when they came out, or even if you just want it for the Bonus material. I enjoy it and there's no reason why you shouldn't. So basically, if you're into stuff like Pg.99, Jeromes Dream or City of Caterpillar then you'll get into this.

J.W [Holy Roar]

3 comments:

zen said...

how very strange that i should be browsing blogs and i see my bands name mentioned. thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated. glad you liked it, sorry if it took awhile to arrive! i'm slow at that stuff sometimes. i have added this to a blog on our myspace with all our reviews and articles and things, hope that's ok.

-zen

Anonymous said...

ugh they need to do something original- isn't that the idea of creative art? personally i find their attempt at music pathetic.

Anonymous said...

To the anonymous person posting above me, just because you can type on a keyboard doesn't mean everyone else has to endure your boring opinion.