Monday 14 January 2008

Column - 'Myspace-d'

Has anyone noticed the amounts of bulletins that some bands post about, things like..."CHECK OUR NEW SONGS" or "LOOK SOME STUPID SLUT HAS GOT HER TITS OUT ON OUR PAGE", all the fucking time. It's strange because I know it's all about Myspace views, and trying to get as many plays as possible. Which is fair enough, but isn't it a bit silly, because bands think that they're actually big just because some people click on their page, and as a result get 300,000 odd views on their page, then wonder why no-one shows out when they play the Cricketers Armpit in Ashby-de-la-Zouche?

I just see all these bands strive for as many plays as possible, and it doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things, who cares, I don't mind accepting requests from bands who are actually alright - well in my eyes. Whatever. I just don't like the barrage of bulletins and comments going "BIG NEWS", yeah, it's not big news when you tell me about it ALL THE FUCKING TIME, I don't give a shit whether you've got a new massive recording deal with X label which is going to get you in Kerrang and the NME's new 'hardcore punk' section. Just keep doing what you do, and if you're any good you'll get the credit you deserve, three-thousand bulletins everyday saying !!NEW SONGS!! CHECK EM OUT! isn't going to do anything. Maybe I've been guilty of similar crimes in the past? But isn't it time to give it a rest?

1 comment:

Nick said...

I'm obviously not against bands letting people know that they have new songs, obviously. That's the primary function of myspace bands. It's just the excessive repetitive droning on and on and on that gets to me.