Saturday 5 January 2008

Army of Flying Robots - "Life is Cheap" 12" LP

This band was pointed out to me by a good friend of mine. And Initially I wasn't too interested because the name kind of put me off (and I still think its a silly name, but whatever). However this has become a big "Don't Judge Books by their cover", I checked aforementioned bands Myspazz profile! and gasps all round actually really enjoyed it. Noticed they had themselves a debut LP out (by the by if anyone knows where I can get a copy of the AoFR s/t 7" that would be awesome), so I bought it for myself on behalf of another friend for xXxmas for moi!

Anyway, to the band! They're a Grindcore/Thrash band or Noisecore...they're some kind of Core, but its good. Its fast blasting music that will have you in rage of thrashing and might even make you dust off the ol' Metal Horns, but can also deliver some heart wrenching melodie...So maybe they're like a Melodic [insert genre]core band. The vocals scream through you, delivered like a .44 Calibre Love Letter straight from your heart! (posi for Alexisonfire reference). I think its the lyrics (and the melodicness) that are the real pleasures of this album. As the album title suggests its all politics, but its shit Ive never really heard talked about (well, at least not this intelligently, anyway). For the most part its about greed and how that affects people (but, like, tribes people etc, the guys we westerners forget about). Some truly powerful lyrics and excellently delivered.

Favourite song is "Embodiment", its really melo despite the subject matter and is just fantastically written, I also like "House of Butterflies" and "Black Hole in One".

Honestly, I think this is really a must have LP.

J.W. [Feast of Tentacles]

No comments: